Best Water Filters for Apartment Renters: 2023 Guide
If you’re a renter in an apartment or condo, and still don’t have a water filter, you may be concerned about the presence of contaminants such as chlorine, lead, and chemicals that can affect the taste, odor, and safety of your water. That’s probably why you've stumbled upon this blog post.
Unfortunately, finding the best high-quality, efficient water filter can be challenging for those who live in apartments, condos, or co-living communities. Landlords are often wary of renters making significant changes to the property, which usually means no drilling into the kitchen countertop. This can make it difficult to find the best water filter, as many options available on the market require this type of installation.
Not only that, but you may have also realized that whole-house water filtration systems are not a viable option for apartments, as most buildings do not provide each unit with an independent point of entry (POE). Even if you have a private POE, the limited space in apartments makes it difficult to store the large water tanks required for whole-house systems, making it challenging to find an effective and practical filter solution.
I know it sounds impossible right now, but don’t let that discourage you. Being a renter doesn’t mean you have to compromise on the quality of the water your family consumes, In this post, we’ll share the best water filter options for apartment renters that can help solve all of your problems.
Is It Safe To Drink Apartment Tap Water? - A Modern Water Crisis
I believe that, like me, you dislike water with any taste or odor. That alone is a strong reason to invest in a good water filter, but the benefits don't end there. Did you know that your municipal water treatment uses chlorine and chloramine and that chromium-6 (a cancer-causing chemical linked to the poisoning of the community of Hinkley, California) is present in your tap water? Additionally, some water pipes are over 100 years old and can cause lead contamination.
So if you take the "drinkable" label on your tap water for granted, it's time to reconsider.
Despite city standards, tap water in the United States contains over 2,000 chemical compounds, with only 87 of them regulated by the EPA. This means that less than 5% of hazardous chemicals are monitored for safety. Regulated contaminants are only kept below a Maximum Contaminant Level (MCL) to avoid " measurable" adverse health effects, but it's crucial to note that many of these chemicals are not safe in any amount and can lead to long-term health problems. Don't let the convenience of unfiltered tap water put your health at risk. Stay informed and take control of the water you drink.
Why is your apartment's water brown, and how to fix it?
If you have noticed brown water in your apartment, it’s important to address the issue as soon as possible to ensure that the water you’re drinking is safe and clean. The brown color could be caused by a variety of factors, including rust in the pipes, maintenance work, water main breaks, algae blooms, or industrial pollution. While you may want to contact your building management or local water authority to determine the exact cause, finding the best option and investing in a high-quality water filter can be a smart and proactive step toward ensuring the quality of your drinking water.
Renters vs Water filters
Renters often hesitate to install water filtration systems due to common unanswered questions, but don’t worry, this article will answer all your questions and provide a list of factors to consider when choosing the best water filter for your apartment, along with recommendations for the best options for you and your family.
1-Do I need to leave my water filter behind when I move?
No need to worry, the filters on our list are easy to install and remove, allowing you to take them with you wherever you go.
2- Are water filters expensive?
A water filtration system may seem pricey at first, but it saves money in the long run and provides better water than bottled water or delivery services. Unlike bottled water, filtration systems offer transparency about the source and treatment of the water.
3- Is drilling required for installing the water filter?
The type of water filter you choose determines whether drilling is necessary. Our recommended options for apartment dwellers don't need drilling, except for reverse osmosis systems which require a hole for the additional faucet.
3- Is the installation complicated?
These filters on the list are either easy to install or don't need installation.
What is the best water filter for you, and how to choose?
Good water filters give you peace of mind by reducing contaminants such as lead, benzene, MTBE, chloramines, chlorine, and PBCs, ensuring the water you consume is clean, tasteless, and most importantly, safe and healthy.
The first consideration when choosing the best water filter for you and your family is its ability to remove specific substances in your tap water. To determine the contaminants in your local public water supply, visit the Environmental Working Group’s (EWG) free resource at https://www.ewg.org/tapwater/ and enter your zip code. This will allow you to make an informed decision when selecting a water filter to remove substances present in your area.
Below, you’ll find the best water filter system options we recommend for apartment living. Read through to find the one that works for your needs and budget.
1- Best Overall: Inline Under Sink Filtration system
Achieving clean and pure drinking water in your home can be easily accomplished with the installation of an inline water filter. This convenient device integrates seamlessly into your water supply system, typically by being attached to the cold water tap under a sink. As water passes through the filter, any impurities are removed, ensuring that you have access to fresh clean water at all times.
With the Inline filters, you don't have to worry about using additional attachments or devices - it's always in action, providing you with clean and fresh water. The filter operates continuously and provides filtered water on demand, eliminating the need for manual activation or frequent emptying of containers. Enjoy the benefits of pure, clean water with the convenience of an Inline Water Filter, chosen by us as the best water filter option for apartment renters.
- Easy installation: Inline filters are easy to install and change filters, and can be done without the help of a professional plumber.
- No wastewater: Inline filters do not produce wastewater, making them an environmentally responsible choice that reduces the burden on sewage treatment facilities and conserves precious water resources.
- No holes required: Our AquaFre inline water filtration systems are designed with renters in mind, to ensure that it requires no holes on your kitchen counter and no additional faucet.
- Cost-effective: Inline filters have a lower initial cost compared to reverse osmosis systems and other similar high-quality filters.
- Space-saving: Inline filters are compact, don’t require a tank and are installed under the sink, saving kitchen countertop and cabinet space.
- Convenient tap water purification: Enhance the quality of your food, drinks, and household care with inline filters that let you use your kitchen faucet for washing fruits and vegetables, cooking with pure water, providing clean drinking water for pets, watering plants, making toxin-free baby formula, and brewing coffee without the need for a separate tap.
- Limited to one location: An inline filtration system only filters the water at one location, such as the kitchen sink, and does not provide filtered water in other parts of the home.
2- Best Water Quality: Reverse Osmosis
Reverse Osmosis (RO) water filtration is widely considered one of the most efficient forms of water purification available today. With the ability to remove up to 99% of lead, asbestos, and an additional wide range of contaminants, including bacteria, viruses, nitrates, sulfates, fluoride, and arsenic. RO filters are the best water filter choice for those looking to improve the quality of their drinking water.
Not only does RO filtration deliver exceptional results, but it is also a space-saving solution for apartments. These filters can easily be installed under the sink and provide higher-level filtration compared to other options that require more room.
If you're searching for a filter that provides the highest quality of water while taking up minimal space, RO filters are the perfect solution.
- High-quality water: Reverse Osmosis systems remove a broader range of contaminants compared to other water filters, including dissolved solids and minerals.
- Cost-effective: In the long run, reverse osmosis can be more cost-effective compared to constantly buying bottled water or using other filtration methods.
- Large Capacity: Ro systems have a larger capacity to produce more filtered water.
- Eco-friendly: Reverse osmosis systems do not generate hazardous waste and do not require frequent filter changes, and lowers plastic waste from bottled water reducing waste and environmental impact.
- Easy to maintain: These systems are relatively low in maintenance and easy to clean and replace filters.
- Customizable: The reverse osmosis filters offer a range of customizable filtration options to meet individual needs and preferences, such as removing specific contaminants or improving water hardness.
- Higher initial cost: Reverse osmosis filters generally have a higher cost than other types of water filtration systems, which can be a barrier for some.
- Water waste production: These systems produce a higher amount of wastewater, which can be a challenge for individuals with limited resources.
3 - Best on a Budget : Water filter pitcher
A water filter pitcher is a practical and affordable solution to filtering the water in your apartment. However, there are some drawbacks to consider. It only provides basic water filtration. Refilling the pitcher can be time-consuming and it uses precious refrigerator space. Additionally, frequent replacements of filters make this option less cost-effective in the long run.
- Affordability: Water filter pitchers are one of the most affordable filtration systems available, making them a great option for those on a budget.
- Ease of use: Water filter pitchers are simple to use, requiring no installation or plumbing. They are ready to use straight out of the box.
- No electricity required: Pitchers do not require electricity to operate, making them an energy-efficient option for households.
- Portable: Water filter pitchers are lightweight and portable, making them easy to move around.
- Limited capacity: Pitchers have limited capacity and may need to be refilled frequently, which can be inconvenient for apartment renters who use a lot of water.
- Slow filtration: Water filter pitchers can be slow to filter the water, especially when compared to reverse osmosis systems or inline filters.
- Short filter life: The water filters present on the pitchers often have a short filter life, which means that filters may need to be replaced frequently. This can add up and be costly for apartment renters over time.
- Takes refrigerator space: The size and shape of some water filter pitchers may not fit easily in a standard refrigerator, making it difficult to store.
- Not ideal for those with specific water quality issues: Water filter pitchers may not be the best option for renters with specific water quality issues, such as high levels of lead or other contaminants. In these cases, a more advanced filtration system may be necessary, like reverse osmosis or an inline filter.
4 - Best for convenience : Countertop water filter
This compact and convenient water filtration solution sits on your kitchen countertop and uses an adapter to connect to your tap. The water is filtered as it flows through the unit, and the newly purified water is dispensed through a separate tap for easy access. With this system, you can choose between regular tap water or filtered water with just a switch, making it a versatile and practical option for many renters.
These filters can utilize various filtration technologies, such as carbon, or ceramic, to remove contaminants from water. However, it’s important to note that they may not provide the same level of filtration as more advanced filtration systems. For apartment renters who have adequate kitchen counter space and want clean drinking water without the hassle of installation, countertop filters can be a practical option.
- Quick and easy installation: installing a countertop filter is as easy as it can be, and does not require any tools or permanent notifications to your plumbing, making them an easy and convenient choice.
- No need for under-sink space: Unlike inline, or reverse osmosis systems, which require space under the sink for installation, countertop water filters do not require any specific installation location, making them a versatile option for those with limited under-sink space.
- No need for filling up: Unlike water filter pitchers, countertop filters are installed directly onto your tap and do not need to be refilled.
- Improved taste and odor: A countertop water filter can remove unpleasant tastes and odors, making your water taste better.
- Limited water filtration: Countertop filters may not be as effective at removing certain contaminants as other filtration systems.
- Capacity: Countertop filters have limited water filtration capacity compared to other systems such as whole filters or under-sink filters.
- Size: Countertop filters take up space on the kitchen counter and may not be suitable for those with limited counter space.
- Aesthetics: Countertop filters can detract from the appearance of the kitchen and may not match other appliances.
- Compatibility: If you have a pull-out kitchen faucet, you won’t be able to connect a countertop water filter to it.
- Energy consumption: Countertop filters require energy to function, which can increase the overall energy consumption of the household.
Faucet-Mounted Water Filters: These filters attach directly to your faucet and can be a convenient and space-saving water filtration method. Faucet-Mounted water filters usually use granular carbon filters to effectively remove some of the harmful contaminants and enhance the taste of your water. But it didn’t make it to our list because it can be very challenging to find a faucet-mounted filter that fits modern faucet designs and sizes.
Refrigerator Water Filter: Many apartment dwellers find that using a refrigerator with a built-in water dispenser is a convenient and cost-effective solution for obtaining clean drinking water. The filters in these refrigerators have three key benefits: they are simple to use, convenient, and effective at removing contaminants. However, not all apartment renters have access to this type of filtration system, which is why it did not make our list of recommendations. These filters are a great option if you have access to them, and the cartridge we recommend for it is:
CONCLUSION - BEST WATER FILTER:
In conclusion, almost all drinking water filtration systems will give you better-tasting water because they all filter out some amount of chlorine. This includes all the filters mentioned on this list. However, there's a lot more to consider about a water filter than the taste of the water.
Even though we highly recommend inline filters for renters due to their water quality, convenience, ease of use, and ease of installation, the best water filter for you ultimately depends on your goals, the type of water contaminants you want to remove, and your available space. We are confident that one of the filtration systems listed in this article will meet your needs as an apartment dweller and solve your water-related problems.
No matter what option you choose, if you're looking for a water filtration company that puts your family's health and safety first, look no further than Blue Gold For Life. Our commitment to delivering the highest water filtration quality and exceptional customer service sets us apart, making us the ideal choice for anyone seeking the peace of mind that comes with clean, safe drinking water. Your well-being is our number one priority, let us help you.